This blog comes directly from pages out of Francesca Reicherter’s “You Are Not Alone: The Workbook.” For more content and exercises, this workbook is available for purchase on inspiringmygeneration.org or amazon.
Being kind to yourself can be super hard! As humans, it is normal to be critical of ourselves. Often times, we are harder on ourselves than we are on others because we are afraid. Sometimes, we fear what other people will think of us if we gain weight, do not wear the coolest clothes, or do poorly on a test. But, the truth is, we judge ourselves more harshly than others judge us. This is an example of how we bully ourselves. What if instead of being mean to ourselves, we choose to be friends with ourselves?
Be as kind to yourself as you are to your best friends!
Examples of showing kindness to yourself:
- Forgive yourself for a mistake. “It is okay to make mistakes.
- I forgive myself for . . . “
- Positive affirmations. Look in the mirror and say 3 nice things about yourself. “I am . . . I can . . . I will . . .”
Exercises to try:
- Write down 3 affirmations you can tell yourself every day.
- Tell me 3 ways you can be kind to yourself today.